Monday, January 19, 2009

Eggless Cinnamon Coffee Cake


EGGLESS CINNAMON COFFEE CAKE

2 cups brown sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons cinnamon 1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Mix the sugar, flour, and butter until it has the consistency of fine crumbs. Remove 1/2 cup of crumb mixture and mix with the cinnamon and nuts; set aside for the toping. To the remaining flour mixture add baking soda, baking powder, salt, buttermilk and vanilla mixing well.
Turn the mixture into a greased 9-inch round or square cake pan. Sprinkle the reserved crumb/nut mixture over the top and bake at 375 degrees F. for about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

For original recipe click here

Haylee’s Note:
This coffee cake was pretty good, but not my favorite. I have others that I like much more. I was really craving coffee cake this morning, but all of the recipes I had called for eggs, but I didn’t have any. So, if you ever need to make coffee cake on a Sunday when you don’t have eggs, this would be my recommended recipe. Also, I used dark brown sugar, instead of regular brown sugar, so it looks darker—but it wasn’t burned.

No comments: